Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Chorizo Chili

This past weekend my Sister-in-law had family over for my nephews second birthday, it ended up being late enough that we all stayed for dinner. Now, she really didn't have plans for us to stay, and there really wasn't a whole lot in the house (as it was the first weekend of the month and grocery shopping hadn't occurred) so she and my other Sister-in-law raided the pantry.  Out of this random dinner came a very yummy Chili.  The measurement are mine, as she just threw it all in there, but I had to make it for my husband who was unable to make it to the party, and so it is sitting in my slow-cooker right now.

Makes 10 (brimming 1 cup)  servings 8 points each-

1-12 oz package of Chorizo
4 -16 oz cans of beans ( any kind works but I used Kidney, Chili, White and Black)
2 cans Mexican Salsa (I used Embasa which I enjoy)
1/2 of tsp Chili Powder
1/8 tsp Cayenne
1/2 tsp  Cumin
1 tbsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tbsp Onion Powder

Throw everything in to your slow cooker and cook on high until done.

I have never personally cooked with Chorizo , and the first time I even tasted it was in this chili, My Sister-in-law cooked in first, and drained the fat, but I choose to just dump it in and let it cook int he slow-cooker. Part of my reasoning behind this was that I had calculated the points using all the fat in the Chorizo , and heck , I might as well eat it all, the other was because it just didn't seem to want to do what I normally think meat should do when it cooks... so either cook the Chorizo before or not, it is up to you.

2 comments:

  1. I'm gonna make it too this month! Can't wait!! Let me know how it turns out,I'll prob follow your measurements.Thanks Bonnie and Sara for the new "family recipe"! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula, it was pretty much like the recipe that Bonnie and Sara made (hey I did keep an eye on the Chorizo for a few minutes while Sara and Bonnie went out for a smoke lol)

    ReplyDelete

Followers